This would be a good one for Thanksgiving!
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
- 2 – teaspoons whole cloves
- 1/2 – of a vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 – 64 ounce bottle apple-cranberry juice
- 4 – medium purple and/or green plums, pitted and sliced
- 1 – 750 mL bottle Gewurztraminer, or other fruity white wine*
1. Place cloves and vanilla bean in center of a double-thick 6-inch square of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Bring corners of cloth together; tie closed with clean string. Pour apple-cranberry juice into a large container or pitcher. Add plums and spice bag. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
2. Remove and discard cheesecloth bag. Stir in Gewurztraminer. Serve beverage and plum slices over ice.
(Or omit the ice and heat the juice mixture and wine in a 4-quart Dutch oven until hot. Serve in heatproof mugs.)
Nonalcoholic Option:Substitute two cans chilled ginger ale for the Gewurztraminer, and serve over ice.