Last Wednesday I had a procedure to remove two lovely Ganglions that are on the side of my foot ,this is the second time I’ve had them . Well the little procedure I had last week didn’t work very well!!!
I was without my two little buddies for about 3 days!!
Over the weekend they returned with a vengeance , my foot is now more uncomfortable than ever and I’m developing a small ovalish lump on the bottom of my foot directly under the returning gangly-i .
I called the surgeons office yesterday and have an appointment next Monday we’ll discuss what the next plan of attack is.
Here is a brief description of what a I understand a Ganglion to be:
A ganglion cyst is a tumor or swelling on top of a joint or the covering of a tendon .
They are also known as Bible cysts. Some folks still do this, they just grab a large book such as The Bible and whap! Good night nurse!
The cause of ganglion cysts is not yet known. Some suggestions are that trauma causes the tissue of the joint to break down forming small cysts, which then join to form a more obvious mass “THE GANGLION”… The most likely suggestion involves a flaw in the joint or tendon covering .
- The ganglion cyst usually appears as a bump that changes in size.
- Their size varies between 1-3 cm in diameter almost an inch.
- Swelling may appear over time or appear suddenly, may get smaller in size, and may even go away, only to come back at another time.
- Pain associated with Ganglions is typically nonstop, aching, and made worse by joint motion especially in the hands. Hence my love of cheap red wine:)
- Ganglion cysts are the second most common elective referral to surgeons, carpal tunnel being the first.
- Ganglions often return.
And so ends “Tuesdays Totally useless bit of Information”
with help from