- 12 baby new potatoes, cut in half
- 250 mL (1 cup) thickly sliced carrots or baby-cut carrots
- 500 mL (2 cups) broccoli florets
- 250 mL (1 cup) sugar snap peas, snow peas, or green beans, trimmed
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) frozen green peas
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) dried tarragon, savoury or thyme
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cup) 1% milk, heated
- 10 mL (2 tsp) Dijon or dry mustard
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh basil or dill (optional)
In a large saucepan, combine potatoes and carrots; add cold water to cover by 5 cm (2 inches). Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover, reduce heat and boil gently for 10 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
Add broccoli, sugar snap peas and green peas; boil for 3 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain; set aside.
Return pan to medium heat; heat vegetable oil. Sauté onion, tarragon and 1mL (1/4 tsp) pepper for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in flour; sauté for 30 seconds. Gradually whisk in heated milk and mustard. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly; reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking, for about 2 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from heat; stir in vegetables and toss to coat. Season to taste with pepper.
Transfer to a warmed serving bowl and sprinkle with fresh herbs (if using).
Heart and Stroke Foundation