Tofu Stir – Fry
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 small onions, cut into wedges
- 9 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 1/4 pounds bok choy, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces, stem and green pieces separated
- 1/4 pound snow peas, trimmed
- 5 paper-thin slices fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons cold water
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Halve tofu block lengthwise; slice each half into 8 rectangles. Arrange on a paper towel-lined baking sheet; top with more paper towels and another baking sheet. Weight with canned goods or a skillet. Refrigerate overnight or at least 20 minutes.
- Transfer tofu to a shallow dish. In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil with 1 tablespoon water; pour over tofu. Marinate 5 minutes (reserve marinade).
- Heat canola oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook tofu until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Set tofu aside.
- Stirring constantly, cook onions in skillet over high heat until browned, 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 2 minutes. Add red pepper and bok choy stems; cook 3 minutes. Add peas and ginger; cook 1 minute. Add marinade, cornstarch mixture, bok choy greens, and tofu. Cook until heated through. Season with soy sauce as desired. Serve with limes.
The vegetables and marinade can be prepared ahead. You can use 1 pound peeled, deveined shrimp instead of tofu; the cooking times are the same
- #1 How to cook tofu (srshkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Salt & Pepper Tofu (teacher-chef.com)
- two ways | tofu (thespicystiletto.com)
- Teriyaki Tofu Bowls (haveashnick.com)
- yudofu(hot tofu?) (japantaka.wordpress.com)
- Marinated Tofu + Israeli Pearled Couscous (Vegan) (lieslmade.com)