Why should meat lovers have all the fun? This larger than life veggie burger is loaded with fresh vegetables and tasty chick peas. It moves veggies from the side to the centre of the plate
1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed 1 egg 1 clove garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground coriander 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarse (kosher or sea) salt 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh spinach 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded carrot 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh cilantro 3/4 cup (175 mL) panko bread crumbs 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil Toppings, as desired (avocado halves, cilantro leaves, cucumber slices, tomato slices, sweet pepper strips, lettuce leaves) Sauces, as desired (spicy mustard, sriracha, ketchup, citrus vinaigrette)
- In food processor bowl, place chick peas, egg, garlic, paprika, coriander, cumin and salt. Cover; process with on-and-off pulses about 45 seconds or until nearly smooth. Stir together bean mixture, spinach, carrot and cilantro until well combined. Stir in bread crumbs. Shape mixture into 4 patties, about 3 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons canola oil over medium heat until hot. Cook patties in oil 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until brown and crisp.
- Serve veggie burgers stacked with toppings and drizzled with sauce.
To Grill Burgers : Heat gas or charcoal grill. Spray sheet of heavy-duty foil. Place patties on foil. Place on grill over medium-high heat. Cover grill; cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until brown and crisp.Tip : We think these veggie burgers are so good, they don’t need a bun. Try them stacked with fresh veggies and a drizzle of your favourite burger sauce. Or, top with a fresh veggie salsa. To make fresh veggie salsa, in a medium bowl, mix 1 cup coarsely chopped red or yellow bell pepper, 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber, 1/4 cup slivered white onion and 1/4 cup cilantro leaves. Stir in 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. About 2 cups salsa.
- Veggie Burger Pileup (saracathleen.wordpress.com)
- Vegan Diaries – Chickpea Burgers (oneikasyogalife.com)
- Veggie Burger Throwdown! (hannahcuttingjones.wordpress.com)
- Chickpea and Spinach Veggie Burger (craftykatie3.wordpress.com)
- Veggie Burger, Veggie Burgers Everywhere (georgefebish.wordpress.com)
- The Best Veggie Burger Recipe (ecokaren.com)