Traditional bennies can weigh you down with fatty meats and buttery sauce. Ours use portobellos for a meaty texture and cheese sauce to cut the butter, revamping the breakfast favorite for a final fat count of just 4.5 grams!
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 packed cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups portobello mushrooms, chopped
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 10 egg whites
- 4 whole-grain English muffins, split and toasted
- Place flour in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, add cheese, salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, stirring until melted.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add and sauté spinach, mushrooms and remaining pepper until spinach is wilted and mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate skillet coated with cooking spray, scramble egg whites over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Top English muffin halves evenly with scrambled egg whites and spinach-mushroom mixture, then drizzle with cheese sauce. Serve immediately
😀 😀 😀