Good Monday Morning!!!
😀 😀 😀
I found this great recipe for Healthy Potato Nachos!!!!!
Healthy nachos? Yeah, that is quite a promise.
Potatoes to the rescue! By replacing the deep fried tortilla chips with freshly baked potato slices, we have a plate of nachos which is basically all veggies and fruits.
Hurrah for potato nachos!
“Tree hugger” healthy potato nachos
- 3 potatoes
- A handful of grated cheddar cheese
- A handful of chopped spring onions (aka scallions / green onions)
- 1-2 jalepenos, de-seeded and sliced
- A couple scoops of greek yogurt
- A few handfuls of rocket / arugula
For the salsa (this will make a huge batch- you will have leftovers!)
- One can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tomatoes, de-seeded and chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 small red or green bell pepper, minced
- 1 small red onion, minced
- A handful of chopped coriander (aka cilantro)
- Juice of 1 lime
For the guacamole
- 1 medium avocado
- A few grinds of sea salt
- 1-2 tsps of lime juice
- Pre-het oven to 205C / 400F
- While it’s pre-heating, prepare the salsa and guacamole.
- Combine all salsa ingredients in a bowl. Place in the fridge to allow the flavours to mingle.
- Prepare the guacamole by mashing the avocado with the salt and lime juice. Leave to one side while you get everything else ready (don’t refrigerate)
- Slice your potatoes horizontally, into approximately ¼ inch rounds. (The more consistent, the better, because it keeps them cooking evenly, but if, like me, you don’t have a mandolin, you will probably end up with some thinner, crispier slices in the mix. Which is not a terrible thing.)
- Cover a large baking tray (you may need 2) with baking paper, and then brush a thin layer of vegetable oil over it.
- Place the rounds on top of the baking paper and brush with a thin layer of oil on top of each.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then flip them over and bake for another 15. They should be cooked through and a little bit crispy. If they are too soggy, you may want to broil or grill them for a few minutes to crisp them up.
- Now move the potato rounds to the plate or tray you will be serving them on. Pile them up and sprinkle with cheese. Grill / broil for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top your nachos with salsa, jalapeno slices, and a couple spoonfuls each of guacamole and greek yogurt.
- Cover in rocket / arugula and serve!