- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable stock
- 1 red-skinned potatoes, (unpeeled), cubed
- 1/2 pkg (454 g pkg) medium-firm tofu
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) frozen shelled edamame, (soybeans)
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) minced fresh chives or green onions
In Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat; cook carrots, celery, onion, garlic and pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
Add broth, 3 cups water, zucchini, red pepper, soy sauce, ginger and sesame oil; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender, about 8 minutes.
Cut tofu into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes. Add to soup along with edamame; simmer for 3 minutes.
Simple Summer Spaghetti
12 oz. packaged spaghetti
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, coarsley chopped
Pinch of crushed red pepper, or to taste
2 cups cut-up grilled zucchini and/or summer squash
2 cups red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes, quatered
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1/4-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or Italian parsley
1.Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Stir in spaghetti. Cook 9-10 minutes, just until tender. Strain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
2.Meanwhile, in extra-large skillet combine olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes, until garlic begins to soften. Do not let garlic brown. Stir in zucchini, squash, tomatoes and torn basil. Season with salt & pepper.
3.Reduce heat to low; stir pasta liquid and spaghetti into vegetables in skillet or large pot. Heat thoroughly. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Transfer to large serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped fresh basil or parsley. Makes 4-8 servings.
Cheese and Broccoli Tart
9-inch unbaked pie shell (from the dairy case)
1/2 of a 10-oz package frozen chopped broccoli (about 1 cup)
2 cups grated part-skim swiss cheese
1/4 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 cup 1% milk
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste Pinch of black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425° F. Bake pie shell for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside. Reduce heat to 375º F.
2. Microwave broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl for about 3 minutes at full power, or until thawed. Drain well in colander.
3. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over pie shell. Top with broccoli and onion.
4. In a small bowl, beat eggs until blended. Stir in milk, salt, and pepper, and pour over broccoli. Sprinkle on remaining cheese.
5. Bake for 25 minutes, or until tart is golden brown and puffy. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.