This is one of those meals that looks really fancy but actually requires no brainpower. You need three things: fresh basil leaves, fresh tomatoes, and fresh (soft) mozzarella cheese. Slice the tomatoes and cheese and stack (tomatoes first, cheese on top) with one or two basil leaves. Arrange like patties on a plate (3 or 4 per person) and sprinkle with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Delicious. Fast. Cheap.
Stuff I tell my sister had this recipe posted on her Facebook page, I have made this to go with dinner tonight…if it lasts that long!!
This salad had no name associated with it so I’ll just call it
2 cucumbers cut up
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes (about 30)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 cup fresh mozzarella (I like to use the little balls)—— (Angie used Feta :D)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste.
Baked eggplant and a healthier bechamel match up in an Italian classic made virtuous. The cheeses are on top, instead of in layers, with a creamy pink sauce underneath.
- 1 large eggplant (2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick crosswise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup homemade or best-quality store-bought marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Arrange eggplant on two rimmed baking sheets. Brush eggplant on both sides with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown and very tender, 20 to 25 minutes, turning slices and rotating sheets halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make sauce: Off heat, in a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup milk, flour, and garlic. Gradually whisk in remaining 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup marinara sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until pink sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spread 1/4 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Alternate layers of baked eggplant with pink sauce. Dollop with remaining 1/4 cup marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake on upper rack until browned and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.